Brazil ‘Needs U.S.-Style Infra Plan’, Lula Advisor Says; Mexico Plans Green Hydrogen Plant

A roundup of Monday’s news from across Latin America

Bloomberg Línea
January 31, 2022 | 07:20 PM

Bloomberg Línea — Brazil needs a major infrastructure investment plan similar to the one sponsored by U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration to pull the economy out of recession amid an increasingly adverse international scenario, according to former Finance Minister Guido Mantega, an economic advisor close to presidential candidate Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

Mexico’s state utility CFE expects to begin producing green hydrogen in 2023, company officials revealed to Bloomberg Línea. Baja California is the company’s first choice of location to install the plant, where it could be supplied with renewable energy from its Cerro Prieto PV plant, or from the solar plant that the company intends to build in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, the largest in Latin America. CFE will start the project using 5% hydrogen and the remaining 95% with natural gas.

Following is a roundup of Monday’s news from Bloomberg Línea and Bloomberg reporters across Latin America.



Guido Mantega, a Brazilian former finance minister, and current economic advisor to presidential candidate Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, during the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in 2014. Photographer: Jason Alden/Bloomberg dfd




Oil spill in Ecuador.dfd




This is how the region’s markets closed on Monday, January 31: